School of Theatre Arts
The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre School of Theatre Arts offers the most comprehensive community theatre education program in the country. We offer:
- Early Elementary classes for age 4 to 3rd Grade to introduce students to acting and musical theatre
- Theatre Wheel classes for 2nd Grade to adult to develop core acting skills in scene study, monologue work and improvisation
- Performance classes for students completing a level of Theatre Wheel classes to learn rehearsal and performance procedure and gain experience on stage
- Voice classes for 4th grade to adult which focus on singing for musical theatre and acting a song
- Summer Day Camps for age 4 to 10th Grade where students explore all aspects of theatre (acting, song and dance, costumes, sets, props, publicity) culminating with a performance on stage.
- A Summer Repertory Theatre Program for experienced students age 14-19 as part of our season where students gain experience both on stage and in the technical aspects of theatre
- A Traveling Troupe outreach that brings theatre to elementary schools in the Grand Rapids area free of charge
We are very proud to have enriched the talents, skills, and lives of over 1,100 students each year through the programs offered through the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre School of Theatre Arts!
Class Schedule & Enrollment
We offer a variety of acting, musical theatre and voice classes for age 4 through adult during Fall, Winter and Spring terms at the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre School of Theatre Arts. See our current Course Guide for a class listing or view our classes in the Online Registration for class descriptions and full class details.
Use Registration Buttons at the top of the page to the left.
Summer Theatre Arts Day Camps —
Registration Begins March 16
Our week-long day camps offer kids age 4 through teenagers a fun-filled learning experience to practice, participate and perform in a real theatre, on a real stage. Every camper has a part to play and will learn theatre skills from experienced theatre professionals. The finale of every camp is a performance for family and friends on the Meijer Majestic Stage, complete with lights and sound. Tuition includes a commemorative camp t-shirt.
Use Registration Buttons at the top of the page to the left.
Summer Repertory Theatre Program
The Summer Repertory Theatre program is a wonderful opportunity for students age 14 - 19 with some previous theatre training. Each year, two shows are produced and performed in repertory (alternating shows each evening) by the students. This college-level program is supervised by theatre professionals and emphasizes training in the entire spectrum of theatre-related skills, from acting, to set and costume design, back-stage production, publicity, and more. Students are selected for the program by audition in May (watch our audition notices for details), and are cast in one show and serve as crew for the other. Each production is fully developed, fully rehearsed and presented as part of the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre Season.
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre Traveling Troupe
The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre Traveling Troupe is an outreach program that brings theatre to local elementary schools free of charge. Participation is by audition, and actors volunteer their time to travel one morning a week to perform on site at local elementary schools. Free community performances are also held at GRCT in March and as part of the Festival of the Arts in June. The Traveling Troupe presents a new show every year. To schedule a Traveling Troupe visit your school, please call 616-222-6653.
Need-based partial scholarships which cover 40% of tuition are available for both academic year classes and summer camps. Qualified applicants are served on a first come, first served basis. Application cannot guarantee a place in any class that has already filled to maximum enrollment. Please download a scholarship application using the link to the left for more information and detailed directions on how to apply for a scholarship. A new scholarship application must be submitted each academic year and each summer and applications must be received two weeks before the start of a term or summer camp.
Classes and Workshops are held onsite at the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre. See our map for more information on location and parking.
Ticket Package Purchasers – Save $10 on every class and summer camp when you purchase a Grand Rapids Civic Theatre Ticket Package. Discount applies to current Ticket Package Purchasers and their immediate family only. Not valid with any other discounts. Please call the Education Office at (616)222-6653 for your discount activation code prior to registration.
Attendance in all class sessions is very important. All classes are taught in a closed-classroom environment. Exceptions may be arranged by contacting the Education Office at (616)222-6653.
- In case of illness or emergency, please notify the education office that your student/you will not be attending class before 2pm if possible. Please leave a message if you are calling after 2pm, but be aware this message will not be received until the following morning.
- If your child becomes ill at GRCT, you will be immediately contacted so you can arrange transportation home for your child and arrange for their care until transportation arrives.
- If a student misses 3 or more days of class, the class will not count toward the prerequisite for a performance class.
- Performance class attendance is mandatory for all classes, technical rehearsals and the showcase performance.
School Closing Policy
- The GRCT School of Theatre Arts will evaluate weather conditions and closing information will be emailed to the address listed under the student’s record and announced both onscreen and online at WOOD-TV8 and WZZM-13. You may log in to your account online to view or change the email address listed or call the office if you are unable to access your account online.
- A decision on whether or not to hold class will be made around 2pm; we will not automatically close if schools are closed and if weather conditions deteriorate during the day, we may close when the schools were open.
- In the event that a class is cancelled, every effort will be made to schedule a make-up class, according to instructor and space availability.
- If weather conditions are deemed safe in Grand Rapids, GRCT will still hold class. We encourage students to evaluate road conditions in their own area. If a student informs GRCT that they will miss class because of the weather, we will make every effort to mail out missed materials before the next class day.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- A full refund is issued when GRCT pulls a course from the schedule.
- On or before the first day of class = Full refund less $10 cancellation fee except for performance classes. No refund for performance classes after the last date to register as specified in online class description.
- After the first day of class but before the second day of class = 75% refund. . No refund for performance classes after the last date to register as specified in online class description.
- Refund is forfeited if withdrawal is on the second day of class or later.
- No refunds for performance classes after the registration deadline.
- If you wish to drop a class, please call the education office at 616-222-6653 so we can keep our records up to date and address any concerns you may have.
- No refund for summer camps after the start of camp.